'impersonal' second person

Denis Creissels Denis.Creissels at UNIV-LYON2.FR
Mon Sep 26 20:39:09 UTC 2011

Dear Eitan,

Last week we had a workshop in Paris on impersonal pronouns, and I presented
a paper available to dowload at the following link :

http://deniscreissels.fr/admin/plugin.php?p=pages
<http://deniscreissels.fr/admin/plugin.php?p=pages&act=page&id=5&upd=1>
&act=page&id=5&upd=1

The first part of this paper, devoted to the coreference properties of
French ‘on’, is not directly relevant to your point, but the second part
deals with the coreference properties of the second person singular pronoun
of Mandinka (a Mande language spoken in Senegal, The Gambia, and Guinea
Bissau) in its impersonal use.

More generally, impersonal uses of second person singular pronouns quite
similar to those found in European languages are very common in Subsaharan
Africa. But in addition to that, in some West African languages at least,
second person pronouns used impersonally may have more ‘exotic’ coreference
properties, as shown in my paper.

Best wishes,

Denis

  _____