conative summary

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at MANCHESTER.AC.UK
Sat Dec 1 12:04:49 UTC 2012

Dear All,
After yesterday's excitement about English being a Scandinavian language, back to the comparative calm of grammatical terminology! Many thanks to everyone who responded to my query about the term 'conative'. My summary of those responses augmented by a bit more digging around on my part has grown into a short note, which I attach. Comments and corrections welcome.
Best,
Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA
Professor Emeritus of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Vice-President for Research & HE Policy, The British Academy

Linguistics & English Language
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester
Manchester M13 9PL