LT: Category Check

Matthew Dryer dryer at BUFFALO.EDU
Tue Dec 18 16:38:18 UTC 2012

Two points.

First, Martin's suggestion of "term check" does not really apply to the
second part of what Frans said: discussion of typologically unusual
categories in particular languages is presumably discussion of the
category itself, independent of what term we apply to it.

Second, Frans' wording implies that categories can be polysemous or
homonymous.  But it is not categories that can be polysemous; it is
terms for categories.  This may seem like a quibble but I think that
failure to distinguish categories from labels that we linguists might
apply to such categories is often a source of confusion and
misunderstanding.

Matthew