SV: query: taboo against 3 people in picture

Didier BOTTINEAU didier.bottineau at WANADOO.FR
Wed Feb 22 15:58:40 UTC 2012

--> I read somewhere that "gooseberry" used to be a euphemism for the devil.

--> an alternative explanation from the Bloomsbury dictionary of word origin

"play gooseberry", or to be an uncomfortably superfluous 3rd person between two lovers, goes back to the early 19th century and may have originated in the notion of a chaperone (ostensibly) occupying herself with picking gooseberries while the couple being chaperoned did what they were doing (gooseberry-picker was an early 19th century term for a chaperone).
+ the OED does have an entry for "gooseberry-picker"

Here in France we romantically "hold the candle" ("tenir la chandelle")

... three is decidedly an "odd" number!

Didier

The third person joining another couple is said "to be playing gooseberry". Anybody know why?

(Sorry, David, nothing to do with your question.)

Peter