11th International Workshop 'The Grammar of Knowledge', LCRC, JCU 16-21 July

Alexandra Aikhenvald a.y.aikhenvald at LIVE.COM
Sun Jul 8 01:37:38 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

It gives me a pleasure to announce that our

1th International Workshop 'The grammar of knowledge' will be running next week, 16-21 July.
If you would like a copy of the position paper, I will be happy to let you have it.

The program is enclosed:
Program for 2012 International Workshop

'The grammar of knowledge'

Monday 16 July 2012 in Building A4, Room 202
Morning session          Chair: R. M. W. Dixon
9.00        Dr Stephen Weller (Deputy Vice-Chancellor, University Services) will officially                   open the International Workshop, and also launch two new books:
               • Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, Languages of the Amazon, Oxford University Press.
               • R. M. W. Dixon. Basic Linguistic Theory, Vol 3, Further Grammatical Topics.                         Oxford University Press.
9.10        Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald (LCRC, JCU) — The grammar of knowledge: A                              cross-linguistic view of  evidentials and the expression of information source
10.40         Coffee
11.10      Diana Forker (University of Bamberg) — Hinuq (Northeast Caucasian)
12.40         Lunch

Afternoon  session       Chair: Elena Mihas
2.00        Elena Skribnik and Olga Seesing (Ludwig-Maximilian University, Munich) — Kalmyk      (Mongolic)
3.30           Coffee
4.00        Teija Greed (University of Helsinki and SIL) — Tatar (Turkic)
5.30           Finish

Tuesday 17 July 2012 in Building A4, Room 202
Morning session          Chair: Sihong Zhang
9.00        Anne Storch and Jules Jacques Coly (University of Cologne) — Maaka (Chadic  branch of Afroasiatic)
10.30         Coffee
11.00      Gerrit Dimmendaal (University of Cologne) — Tima (Katla group, Sudan)
12.30         Lunch                                                                                                                         PTO

Tuesday 17 July 2012 Afternoon  session     Chair: Rosita Henry
2.00        Borut Telban (Academy of Sciences of Slovenia) — Karawari (Lower Sepik  family, Papua New Guinea)
3.30           Coffee
4.00        Mike Wood (LCRC, JCU) — Kamula (Papuan area)
5.30           Finish

Wednesday 18 July 2012 — Free day

Thursday 19 July 2012 in Building A4, Room 222a                       Note: different room
Morning session          Chair: Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald
9.00        R. M. W. Dixon (LCRC, JCU) — Dyirbal (Australian region)
10.30         Coffee
11.00      Elena Mihas (LCRC, JCU) — Ashéninka Perené (Arawak, Peru)
12.30         Lunch

Afternoon  session       Chair:Hannah Sarvasy
2.00        Simon Overall (La Trobe University) — Aguaruna (Jivaroan, Peru)
3.30           Coffee
4.00        Yongxian Luo (University of Melbourne) — Zhuang (Tai-Kadai, China)
5.30           Finish

Friday 20 July 2012 in Building A4, Room 202                            Note: revert to original room
Morning session          Chair: Dineke Schokkin
9.00        Gwen Hyslop (ANU) — Kurtöp (Tibeto-Burman, Bhutan)
10.30         Coffee
11.00.     Sihong Zhang (LCRC, JCU) — Ersu (Tibeto-Burman, China)
12.30         Lunch

Afternoon  session       Chair: Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald
2.00        Chia-Jung Pan (LCRC, JCU) — Lha'alua (Austronesian, Taiwan)
3.30           Coffee
4.00        Group discussion
5.00           Finish

Saturday 21 July 2012 in Building A4, Room 202                                              Note: 9.30 start
Morning session only              Chair: R. M. W. Dixon
9.30        Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald (LCRC, JCU) — What can we conclude?
11.00         Coffee
11.30      Group discussion and publication plans
1.00           Lunch

Also see http://www-public.jcu.edu.au/atjcu/JCU_106006

Sincerely

Alexandra Aikhenvald, R M W Dixon

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA

Distinguished Professor and Research Leader (People and Societies of the Tropics)
Director of the Language and Culture Research Centre
The Cairns Institute, James Cook University
PO Box 6811, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia
http://www.jcu.edu.au/sass/staff/JCUPRD_043649.html
 mobile 0400 305315, office 61-7-40421117
fax 61-7-4042 1880  http//www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com
https://eresearch.jcu.edu.au/spaces/TLA