given names

Giorgio Francesco Arcodia -- ============================================================ Ljuba Veselinova, Associate Professor Dept of Linguistics, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden Phone: +46-8-16-2332 Fax: +46-8-15 5389 URL : http://www2.ling.su.se/staff/ljuba/ "We learn by going where we want to go." Julia Cameron ============================================================ giorgio.arcodia at UNIMIB.IT
Mon Jul 23 08:35:55 UTC 2012

Dear Chao,

I have never done any research on the topic of given
names, but my impression is that gender-neutrality is
fairly common with single-syllable names. I can think of
many single-syllable given names, as 真 zhen, 捷 jie, 丹 dan,
维 wei, 超 chao, 永 yong, 航 hang, etc. which could be
attributed to members of either sex (with some prevalence
maybe, but no hard-and-fast rule). Also, some 'patriotic'
two-syllable names as 振华 Zhenhua ('revitalise China') or
胜光 Shengguang ('victory light') may be used both for a boy
and a girl (again, possibly with some prevalence of either
gender).
In short, what I wanted to point out to F. Newmeyer is
that:

(1) you do have gender-neutral names in Chinese/Sinitic,
and they are more than English ('many' on a relative
scale, rather than on an absolute scale)

(2)since in Chinese culture names are not necessarily
chosen from a 'pool' (as it is the case in the European
tradition for many, if not most, people), but may be
created on purpose with a combination of characters of the
family's choice, the clue to the gender of the name-bearer
is in the meaning of the characters/morphemes which make
it up. This is pretty much different from the European
naming conventions, in which e.g. 'Peter' is a male name
because St. Peter belonged to the male gender. I would
guess that 存田 Cuntian ('preserve-rice.field') is a male
name, but prof. Yang Cuntian of Renmin University is a
woman; thus, sometimes you may be puzzled as to the gender
of the name-bearer even if you have the written form of
the name.

Best,

Giorgio

--
Dr. Giorgio Francesco Arcodia
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca

Tel.: (+39) 02 6448 4946
Fax: (+39) 02 6448 4863
E-mail: giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it