given names

Frederick J Newmeyer fjn at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Jul 24 19:36:10 UTC 2012

Hi all,

The response to my query about cultures with gender-neutral given names was quite overwhelming. Such cultures do indeed exist. I'd like to thank the following for their replies: Søren Wichmann, Giorgio Francesco Arcodia, Harald Hammarström, Johanna Laakso, Grete Dalmi, Bart Jacobs, Clement Appah, Chao Li, Anvita Abbi, Ulrike Zeshan, Eva Lindström, Miren Lourdes Oñederra Olaizola, Siva Kalyan, Donald Stilo, and Kazuhiro Kawachi. Most people replied to the entire list. I paste in below those replies that appear to have been sent only to me.

--fritz
-------------------

Hi, calendrical names in Mesoamerica are composed of a number 1-13 and one of 20 day names. People were given names according to the day thy were born. So one can be called 5 House or 13 Reed or things like that, and these names are gender neutral. This is a feature of all of Mesoamerica. There would have been additional names based on principles varying from culture to culture and context to context, but the calendar names could clearly be used alone at least in some contexts, as we see in pictorial manuscripts, for instance.

Soeren.
---------------
Hi! I've wondered the same and I've looked around a bit, though not very hard. I was never really able to find a good example. I do remember that one Andamanese group (can't check which from where I am sitting at the moment) had the practise of naming
children before they were born. Since they did not have ultrasound, I took this to imply
that those names must be gender neutral. However, I could not assert that this was
the ONLY way to name children and that children did not get new names later.
all the best, H
Dear colleague,

Uralic has no grammatical genders, and thus it might be possible that given names were not gendered
either. However, the given name systems of the Uralic peoples are covered by latter-day layers of
(mostly) Christian name systems almost everywhere, which means gendered names, and the oldest,
pre-Christian layers are poorly documented if at all. (Typically, in the oldest documents -- tax
books, or the Livonian Chronicle from the 13th century -- only men's names have been recorded.)

For Hungarian, there is some material briefly described by Béla Kálmán ("The World of Names", English