Font-related problem for linguists

Peter Kahrel kahrel at KAHREL.PLUS.COM
Fri Mar 2 14:53:50 UTC 2012

> Please note that there is no way to refer to italics in the UNICODE
> description of a character.
> UNICODE does specify capitalization, but not italicization!

I know that. The division of labour is this: it's up to the Unicode
consortium to provide a code point for a character. Then it's up to font
foundries to provide a character shape for that character/glyph in roman
and italic fonts. Again, the same way as with schwa, open o, etc:
Unicode provides the unicode point, font foundries the character shapes
in fonts.

Peter