the term conative

Hannu Tommola Hannu.Tommola at UTA.FI
Tue Nov 27 05:41:29 UTC 2012

Dear Nigel and all,

in Slavic aspectology 'conative' is used as a term referring to one
use or one interpretation of the imperfective aspect, especially in
the case of achievement verbs like ipf. ubedit'/ pf. ubezhdat'
'convince', e.g.:

Ja dolgo ubezhdal     ego, no  ne  ubedil
I  long  convince.ipf him  but NEG convince.pf.
'I tried to convince him, but did not success'

Best,
Hannu

--
Hannu Tommola, Professor of Russian Language (Translation Theory and Practice)
School of Language, Translation and Literary Studies