the term conative

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at UNESCO.ORG
Tue Nov 27 08:02:42 UTC 2012

Dear Vincent,

“Conative” is used by Western Arabists for verbs involving an attempt to do something, without necessarily implying the attainment of the goal.

See for, instance, Mark W. Cowell’s excellent A Reference Grammar of Syrian Arabic, Georgetown University Press, latest edition: 2005.

http://books.google.fr/books/about/A_Reference_Grammar_Of_Syrian_Arabic.html?id=dNZ2anC6jmIC&redir_esc=y

and Search Inside “conative” – usually associated with the III verb pattern fā‘al.

Best,

Steve Hewitt, Editor of Records/Éditeur des Actes

GBS, Bur. E-175

UNESCO

7 place de Fontenoy

75352 PARIS 07 SP