the term conative

Mathias Jenny jenny at SPW.UZH.CH
Tue Nov 27 20:13:23 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues

I use the term 'conative' in descriptions of Southeast Asian languages
as an inherent feature of the semantics activity (or volitional) verbs
(e.g. Jenny 2005 'The verb system of Mon', pp. 156f). In the languages
of Southeast Asia I looked at in detail, activity verbs do not
necessarily include the result of the activity, but only denote the
act that is hoped/supposed to lead to the expected result. Relevant
examples in Thai (in near English translation equivalents):

He killed himself but he didn't die. (He tried to but could not commit suicide.)
He ate without swallowing the food. (He could swallow the food.)
I look but don't see. (I can't see anything)

If the result is achieved, it may be expressed by a secondary
(non-volitional) verb, as in Thai

mOOng hen 'I (look and) see' [tones omitted].

Best,

Mathias

--
University of Zurich