AW: English is a Scandinavian language?

Martin Kümmel mjkuemmel at WEB.DE
Fri Nov 30 08:56:13 UTC 2012

Dear colleague,

I'm not sure whether that topic should be discussed on LINGTYP.
I have seen that posted on facebook several times. The reaction of
historical linguistis (including my own) was very critical, to say the
least. The approach as given in these media articles obviously has no clear
definition of language relationship and does not discuss most crucial
points, e.g., the fact that the larger part of the English basic vocabulary
and grammatical elements must be derived from OE and not from Scandinavian,
or the very interesting syntactic difference that (mainland) Scandinavian is
V2 while English isn't.
However, we should wait for a proper scientific publication.

Best,

Martin Kümmel

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Discussion List for ALT [mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]
Gesendet: Freitag, 30. November 2012 09:18
An: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Betreff: English is a Scandinavian language?

Dear colleagues,

I would like to ask you if anyone has heard of this, and
if there have been any reactions:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121127094111.htm?utm_source=fee
dburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fstrange_science
+

Best,

Giorgio F. Arcodia

--
Dr. Giorgio Francesco Arcodia
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca

Tel.: (+39) 02 6448 4946
Fax: (+39) 02 6448 4863
E-mail: giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it