nominal-internal person agreement

Francoise Rose francoise.rose at UNIV-LYON2.FR
Mon Oct 1 07:21:56 UTC 2012

Dear Steve, dear Pattie, dear list members,

Mojeño Trinitario (Arawak, Bolivia) shows agreement on modifiers like “all,
also”.

These can appear next within an NP in object position (actually sentence
initial also in the following example):

a-mutu      eti     n-echji-ko-'e

2pl-all    Pro.2pl 1sg-speak/to-ACT-2pl

To all of you I am speaking.

“all” and “also” are often used as modifiers, however they can also stand
alone with their person index. They should probably be analyzed as nouns or
verbs in the language, but the data do not make that very clear. For this
reason, I am not sure I would treat that as “agreement”. They are inflected
quantifiers for sure.

Very best,