Hindi-Urdu conversational styles/exchange patterns

Mike Morgan mwmbombay at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 14 18:20:09 UTC 2013

Dan,

then I assume, as hinted at in previous email, the most likely
prospect for finding differences in dialoguic language (i.e.
differences in turn-taking strategies, etc as you mentioned) would be
differences between the Urdu of Pakistan and the Hindi of India.

In India -- I have lived in both Mumbai (a VERY multilingual city) and
Delhi (more or less a Hindi+English speaking city -- though granted
some Punjabi is still heard, but much less than before, and even most
Sikhs speak Hindi most the time nowadays), and although I spend most
of my time (work and play) with Deaf and thus Sign Language users, I
have still had considerable contact with speakers who would
self-describe themselve as both Hindi and Urdu speakers. But, aside
from a certain greater tendency to use insh'allah as an additional
future marker (i.e. in ALL positive future statments) by Muslims, and
a few of the lexical differences which I am sure you know about, I
have noticed nothing different. Which of course is just anecdotal
evidence. PLUS, of course, I don't hang around with Indians who would
be described as being predominantly non-secular quite as much, and I
myself clearly belong to NEITHER group. so there may be more
differences in intra-communal discourse.

BUT again I am not aware of any such studies... BUT your question has
piqued my interest as well, so I will now defintiely be on the look
out ;-)