grammatical coding of proper names

Mark Van de Velde vandevelde at VJF.CNRS.FR
Tue Dec 3 12:05:21 UTC 2013

Dear Lukas,
In several Bantu languages Proper Names are distinguished from Common
Nouns by their agreement properties. When I presented my research on this
topic in Regensburg, my latest article was already submitted, but it took
some time to appear (see the attachment).
Will you post a summary of the replies on the list?
All the best,
Mark

Van de Velde, Mark (2009). Agreement as a grammatical criterion for proper
name status in Kirundi. In: Onoma 44: 219-241. (written in 2011, appeared
in January 2012)

> Hello everyone,
>
> We are looking for peculiarities of the grammatical coding of proper names
> compared to common nouns (and pronouns) in the languages of the world.  In
> particular we are interested in proper names in S, A and P function and
> how they differ with regard to word order, case marking and agreement from
> the treatment of common nouns in a particular language. Are there such
> differences also in European languages?
>
> This is follow up research of a paper that we gave at the last ALT
> conference in Leipzig on the morphosyntactic coding of proper names and
> the Animacy Hierarchy.
>
> I would thank you for any examples you can give,
>
> Best wishes,
> Lukas Denk (University of Regensburg)

Mark Van de Velde
C.N.R.S. - LLACAN