Borrowed word order in phrases

Randy John LaPolla (Prof) RandyLaPolla at NTU.EDU.SG
Sat Dec 14 13:16:23 UTC 2013

Similar to Nick's examples, in Chinese you find things translated directly from English or other languages, keeping the same order, such as 后现代化 hou-xiandai-hua [after modern change] or 后现代主义 hou-xiandai-zhuyi [after-modern-ism] 'postmodernism', where the bit meaning 'after' follows the English order, not the Chinese order, which should be as in 博士后 boshi-hou [doctor-after] 'post-doc'. Another one is the Chinese translation of the name of the newspaper South China Morning Post, which should be 华南早报 hua-nan-zao-bao [China-south-morning-newspaper], but is in fact called 南华早报 nan-hua-zao-bao to match the English.

In the Bai language, a Tibeto-Burman language spoken in Yunnan in China, and one heavily influenced by Chinese, native auxiliary verbs follow the main verb, but if the auxiliary is borrowed from Chinese, it follows the Chinese word order and precedes the verb.

Randy
-----
Prof. Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (罗仁地)| Head, Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies | Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-80, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 | Tel: (65) 6592-1825 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6795-6525 | http://sino-tibetan.net/rjlapolla/