query: grammaticalization go/be.in > negation

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at RUC.DK
Fri Feb 1 06:12:40 UTC 2013

Very much à propos, I just got a mail from our departmental secretary (the language is Danish)

Min datter       er     desværre        gået   hen          og    blevet      syg
My   daughter has  unfortunately   gone  DIRECT  and  become  ill

You couldn't say that with rask 'well' - unless you are waiting for an inheritance and the person you expected to die got well again.

(This works the same way without the desværre 'unfortunately'.)

Hartmut Haberland