Adjective-Noun order

Daniel Hieber dwhieb at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 20 00:27:25 UTC 2013

Being a feature of Romance languages, it's of course no surprise that Latin
exhibits this as well. Typically in Latin the adjective follows the noun,
except in cases where the adjective indicates quantity or size (and
Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_grammar#Word_order> adds
beauty, goodness, or truth). Thus:

magna urbs
large city

cīvēs laetī
citizens happy

In Spanish this is more semantically-conditioned than lexical. Restrictive
/ classificational uses tend to come after the noun, while nonrestritive /
qualificational senses come before:

amigo viejo 'friend who is old'
viejo amigo 'old/dear/longtime friend'

Omnis habet sua dona dies.