Complementizers for reported speech

Wiemer, Bjoern wiemerb at UNI-MAINZ.DE
Thu Feb 28 14:01:22 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,
I would like to correct the claim that Pol. "jakoby" as a complementizer
is restricted to verbs of saying. It still occurs after SEEM-verbs as
well; compare e.g. an example from Łojasiewicz (1992: 105):

(1)   Zdaje                 mi             się,         jakoby-m
           słyszał           jakieś wołanie.
         seem.prs.2sg    me.dat     refl                    -1.sg
hear.pst.m    some shouting
          'I t seems to me that / as if there is some shouting = that
sb. is shouting.'

This usage has been on its retreat (probably for a couple of centuries
already). But "jakoby" is well attested still as an adnominal modifier
(close in function to a complementizer) after nouns denoting mental
acts; compare [note that the finite verb of the complement introduced by
"jakoby" is always in the form of the past, although it may refer to the
present or future, as well]:

(2)   By-ł-o-by                     błędem         sądzić, jakoby
młodzież (...)                     nie     kocha-ł-a
swego             miasta.
         cop-pst-3sg-subj        mistake.ins  think.inf
young_people.nom.f       neg    love.pst.3sg.subj.f poss.refl.gen  town.gen
         'It would be a mistake to think that/as if the young people
don't like their town.'

(3)    Nie     znajduje         potwierdzenia         domysł,
jakoby aktywiści             rekrutowa-l-i       się     w większości
spośród         ludzi .
          neg    find.prs.3sg    confirmation.gen    opinion.nom
      activists.nom      recrute.pst.3pl   refl    in majority
from.among people.gen
          pokrzywdzonych         przez los (...).
          handicapped.gen.pl    through fate
          'One cannot find cofirnmed the opinion according to which [=
as if/that] activists [from a given political group] in their majority
come from people who have experienced bad
         things from fate.'

Sorry for the somewhat clumsy ad hoc-translations into English (meant as
rendering the sene of the original as closely as possible to its
wording). In any case, one the topic has been raised I find it sensible
to add the following question:
     If you happen to find such complementizers, due you find it also
(and, maybe, even predominantly) as an adnominal modifier (= head of a
relative clause) for nouns denoting thoughts, opinions and other mental
states?
     Moreover, do you know anything about their diachronic development
and whether in this development the respective marker (at an initial
stage) was associated with irreal comparisons (thence its meaning "as if")?

I haven't asked Kilu von Prince  beforehand (neither the colleague who
asked her to send the request and whose identify seems to be clear to me
:-) -- pozdrowienia!), but I suggest that you can send answers to my
additional questions to me, too, and that then we compose a
digest/summary together with Kilu. Okay?

Best,
Björn Wiemer.