grammaticalization query: 'see' to 'VERIFY'

Alex Francois francois at VJF.CNRS.FR
Sun Jul 28 22:43:58 UTC 2013

dear Misha and Timur,

I'm aware of some languages that use the verb “see” with a conative (TRY)
or verificational (VERIF) meaning even when seeing is not involved.

One example is indeed Mandarin 看**
*​ ​*
*kàn*, cited by André Müller.

Another example is French. The infinitive *voir* (literally ‘see’) follows
certain imperative verbs to add a meaning of tentativeness or conativity:
(1)*écoute**voir***(situentendssavoix)

listenTRYifyouhearhervoice

‘(try to) listen if you can hear her voice.’

(2)*goûte**voir**!*

tasteTRY

‘Try this (to check out the taste).’

I also found the same semantic link in certain Oceanic languages of Vanuatu.
The language *Lemerig* (2 speakers, northern Vanua Lava) uses the verb
*’et*/ʔɛt/ ‘see’ as a conative postverbal particle
*ten* (TRY):
(3)Lēlqön̄e,nëm-ta*’et*wënëk‑mi'ir,paniv.
in.nightDEF1sgPRF‑doTRYCOMP1sg1sg:Irr‑sleepbutno
’Last night I *tried* to find some sleep, but
​no way
.'

Lemerig *’et* /*ʔɛt*/ ‘see/TRY’ has cognate forms in neighbouring
languages: Vera'a * ’ēn* /*ʔɪn*/ ‘see’ + Vurës *ten* /*tɛn*/ ‘TRY’.
The three forms are regular reflexes of a single protoform **teⁿde*.

In *Vurës*, the grammaticalisation process has
​reached its end:  the word *ten* has lost its original meaning ‘see’ and
is only used synchronically as a postverbal particle with conative meaning
(TRY):

(4)*Ru**tur**kal**ten****na**ēl**ten**!*
Imper:DualstandupTRY1sg:IrrseeTRY
[looking for a knife]
‘*Try* standing up so I can [*try* to] have a look!’

Yet the etymology of this *ten* is suggested by Lemerig
​ – as well as other examples of the same semantic shift in other languages
of the world.

all the best

Al
​e​