Reduplication

Alex Francois francois at VJF.CNRS.FR
Sun Mar 3 17:31:00 UTC 2013

hello,

Reduplication is common in Austronesian languages, with a variety of
meanings.
One of these meanings (albeit a rare one, and non-productive) is
diminutive.

e.g. West Tarangan (Maluku, Indonesia):   *seldi* 'shrimp' =>
*sel**sel**di*'small shrimp'   (Nivens 1993: 384)

       Manam (Oceanic, PNG):  *moata* 'snake'  => *moata-moata* 'worm'
(Lichtenberk 1983: 611)

       Mwotlap (Oceanic, Vanuatu):  *ēy* 'lobster'  => *ēy**ēy* 'shrimp'
(François 2004: 181)
                           *qol* 'surgeonfish, larger variety'  =>
*qolqol*'surgeonfish, smaller variety'

I mentioned these examples in my discussion of reduplication and its
polysemy in the language Mwotlap.
Reduplication is there only fully productive for verbs and adjectives;
for nouns, it is a process of lexical derivation, which only affects some
lexemes.
Its semantics include (on nouns) diminutive, qualitative, plural, and (on
verbs) pluractional, distributive, intensive, atelic, intensional,
infinitive, etc.  I tentatively proposed the notion of "fragmentation" as a
way to capture reduplication's core underlying meaning in this language.

François, Alexandre. 2004. La réduplication en mwotlap : les paradoxes du
fractionnement<http://alex.francois.free.fr/data/AlexFrancois_2004_Reduplication_Mwotlap.pdf>.
In Elizabeth Zeitoun (ed.), *Les langues
austronésiennes<http://fdl.univ-lemans.fr/fr/liste-des-numeros/n23_24.html>.
*Special issue of *Faits de langues* n°24: 177-195.

Incidentally, Mwotlap does not use reduplication for hypocoristic
functions.  The diminutive meaning is thus here "pure", i.e. not
contaminated by any affective meaning such as expressivity, endearment or
familiarity  — a situation Paul suggested should be “difficult, perhaps
impossible” to find.

best,
Alex

********