Fwd: On Diminutive Reduplication

Scott T. Shell ay2493 at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Mar 5 14:20:13 UTC 2013

----- Weitergeleitete Mail -----

Von: "So Miyagawa" <runa.uei at gmail.com>
An: "ay2493 at WAYNE.EDU" <ay2493 at wayne.edu>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 5. März 2013 02:17:19
Betreff: On Diminutive Reduplication

Hello, Scott, I would like to reply your main on linguist list, but I can't. So could you send the forward of this mail to the Linguistlist?

I know some dimunitive reduplications in Tagalog. (Because I wrote my thesis on Reduplication in Tagalog)

For example,

ma-sarap~sarap "rather tasty"; ma-linis~linis "rather clean"; ma-sali~salita "rather talkative"; ma-ganda~ganda "rather beautiful"....etc.

These are all bisyllabic reduplication.
And the language in which I am majoring now, Maori.

Maa-roo~roo'somewhat hard'

I remember Fisher(2011) says diminutive reduplication come from baby talk.

O. Fischer (2011). Cognitive iconic grounding of reduplication in language. In P. Michelucci, O. Fischer & C. Ljungberg (Eds.), Semblance and signification (Iconicity in language and literature, 10) (pp. 55-81). Amsterdam: Benjamins.

And further example , see Graz Database on Reduplication http://reduplication.uni-graz.at/redup/

Thank you,

So Miyagawa
Te Reo Maori and Linguistic Typology