Gender and Noun Class

Bakker, Dik D.Bakker at UVA.NL
Fri May 10 11:15:44 UTC 2013

Hi Don,

I am not aware of any general term, but I think noun class
IS a/the neutral term. I think one should use it, maybe with
a footnote or short remark motivating it the way you do
in your message ('maybe historically based on semantics,
but synchronically not any longer etc', in fact just as in
many languages where, in the case of a two- or three-way system,
gender is still the term, even if the vast majority of nouns have no
(real) gender whatsoever, and some have the 'wrong' type,
such as 'meisje' 'girl' in dutch, which has neuter rather than
feminine gender, since it is originally derived from a diminutive
(meid-DIM), but no longer analysed as such.

Best,

Dik

Dik Bakker
Dept. of General Linguistics