Gender and Noun Class

Don Killian donald.killian at HELSINKI.FI
Mon May 13 08:05:20 UTC 2013

Dear all,

With the mention of an argument of which gender and noun class are
viewed as opposite ends of a continuum, we've now an exceedingly broad
response to my question, suggesting that there was indeed merit in
asking it in the first place.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're any further in answering my question.
  Most respondents appeared to have an intuitive idea of what gender and
noun class mean, but I'm afraid they didn't always match each other very
well, and it's not a matter of knowing the subject poorly.. more than
one respondent has written a book on the topic!

One thing I did notice that most respondents did somehow feel that
semantics are at the core of gender systems in at least SOME way,
whether it be animacy, biological sex, or some other means of
classification, and even if it's only a small core of words in which
they are semantically differentiated.

Noun class would appear, then, to be more neutral in general (I'm not
sure people would feel that semantic correlations are as important in
noun classes), but I'm afraid that from an African perspective this one
remains more problematic than it might in general due to the Bantuist
traditions.  And despite the fact that noun class has NOT been used to
refer to Dutch or Scandinavian languages, I've often felt that the
2-gender system where masculine and feminine have collapsed are good
examples in which sex is no longer a distinguishing factor
synchronically, but the term persists due to historical/comparative
reasons.  So noun class would seem appropriate for these systems,
despite its actual lack of use (unless you go by the criteria of number
of categories as the difference between noun class and gender).

As I looked through some of the specific suggestions people made on what
to read, I noticed that a lot of you use "gender/noun class" even in
your own writings, again suggesting that while the two ideas go hand in
hand, there isn't a neutral word or phrase in reference to a nominal
categorization system.

(Grev, agreement/inflectional class work to a point and are indeed
things I've thought of, but unfortunately both inflection and agreement
are utilized in Uduk so picking one would be a bit arbitrary).

Martin, I noticed that you seem to have some skills in coining new
terms, and this is NOT something that comes easy to all of us!  It's not
simply a matter of courage; sometimes it's also very challenging,
particular for the younger linguists who have not studied Latin. Perhaps
you or someone else with more terminology-coining abilities could come
up with a neutral term which simply refers to a system of nominal
categorization? It doesn't have to refer to HOW the categories work in
practice, how many there are, how you distinguish them, why they exist,
or anything other than the fact that there ARE categories.  These other
ideas are all factors which can be dealt with with more specific terms
such as gender, agreement class, etc.

I don't think we can fix all of the issues regarding cross-linguistic
comparison vs. individual descriptions, but I believe this particular
issue has a relatively simple (and non politically-charged) solution
compared to most. It's simply that we lack a neutral term, and we need
to make one. And no matter what ends up happening with Uduk (even if we
do solve this issue in another way), I think creating a term for this
concept might still be a good idea.

All the best,

Don

PS: This is just an addendum for those of you whose curiosity was piqued
regarding the specifics of the Uduk system, some of which I had
deliberately left off earlier.  For further questions/comments about
Uduk specifics it's probably best to contact me by email off-list.

There are two classes, for simplicity we can call the masculine and
feminine despite a lack of semantic correlation.  As case marking and
gender marking varies depending on word order, I discuss all of these
together to some extent.  Uduk is a split system in case marking in
which only post-verbal arguments can get marking; all pre-verbal
arguments are neutralized. What the system actually IS has been
problematic to figure out, and I've gone back and forth in my
description between split marked nominative and split ergative.

Masculine nouns generally are not marked, although some irregular
plurals of animate/humans do receive a marker ī-, which puts them into
masculine (no matter what their original category was); this is not
regular however, and masculine is mostly marked by the absence of
anything else. Post-verbal masculine A/S are marked with ā (or sometimes
à due to phonological reasons), which phonologically attaches to the end
of the verb but morphologically is part of the noun.  It has been
somewhat problematic to decide where to write it.

Feminine nouns generally are marked with a proclitic à- (or à= if you
prefer), but a post-verbal feminine A/S is marked with mā (or mà for the
same phonological reasons as with ā/à).  Feminine O trigger different
verb conjugations compared to with masculine O, so despite an occasional
overlap between post-verbal O and post-verbal S/A marking on the noun,
there is no chance of ambiguity due to different verbal paradigms (verbs
also conjugate differently depending on whether S/A is pre- or
post-verbal). Feminine nouns in isolation do not require the à- marker
(it's optionally used), but do require it when in clauses/phrases and
there's not another marker replacing it.

Post-nominal adjectives (one of two categories of adjectives, the first
of which is more nominal and is somewhat head-like, the second of which
is the main category of adjectives and mostly comes from stative verbs)
always agree with the head noun, and each adjective modifying a feminine
noun has a proclitic à- attached to it.  Adjectival modifiers of
post-verbal S/A also have a proclitic à-.  Adjectives on masculine nouns
do not have any markers on them in any situation.

Conjunctions, prepositions, and many other grammatical words do have
alternations depending on the following noun; if a feminine noun would
follow, the à- proclitic replaces the final vowel of the grammatical
word (dhàlì, 'and' +masculine; dhàlà, 'and' +feminine).  This may be
phonological rather than grammatical, however, and requires further
testing. Genitive constructions have different forms for masculine or
feminine heads (gì vs. mā/mà) but not for dependents.

Areas where I can make generalizations on the semantics of the
categories are limited.

Singular personal names are always feminine, and plural personal names
(e.g. īDòn: Don and the person/people he is associated with) are always
masculine. Borrow words from Arabic generally are put into the feminine
category, suggesting it is more of a default than masculine (despite
being more marked morphologically).  Size, animacy, biological sex, are
not factors that I can discern in the system.

 From what I've seen, this system seems to be most useful in
distinguishing arguments, particularly with all of the word order
variations, but I can't say for sure yet.  Koman languages are a small
family with very little descriptive workin general, so I canʼt do
comparative or historical work at this point very easily.  Perhaps in
the future I'll be able to see the diachronic connection to other gender
systems in Nilo-Saharan languages, once more data appears.

--
Don Killian
Researcher in African Linguistics