negation raising

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Fri May 17 14:01:49 UTC 2013

On 17/05/2013 15:43, Christopher T Collins wrote:
> I do not think that there has been a serious typological investigation
> of the issue,
> and the results would be really interesting.
Yes, I think there's no world-wide study, but Giuliano Bernini & Paolo
Ramat investigated negation raising in their 1996 book Negative
sentences in the languages of Europe
<http://books.google.de/books?id=n7ec2TKXlEAC&printsec=frontcover&hl=de&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false>,
where they had questionnaire data on negation structures in 45
representative European languages. Due to the nature of the data, the
results are hardly conclusive, but they did not find any significant
variation among European languages.

But if there's no variation among European languages, one does not feel
compelled to look for variation elsewhere. But as David Gil's
observations show, there may be some variation after all.

Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6