accusative + analytical DO markers

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Sun May 26 14:55:15 UTC 2013

Dear Typologists,
May 26 Sergey has written: the noun of these Romance varieties lost its inflection for case long ago. It is clear that both Standard Spanish and  South Italian developed their famous He visto a Maria/ Ho visto a Maria after the loss of cases. He’s right

a mí non me pesa (Cantar de Mio Cid, v. 1480)

to me.pron neg me.cl grieve.prs.3sg  i.e. ‘It does not grieve me’ has a perfect pendant in Mod. It. a me non mi pesa. However I wonder whether pesar(e) is really a transit. verb with an object (what could be the object in this sentence?). I think that

From: Eitan Grossman
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2013 3:55 PM
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: accusative + analytical DO markers

It's interesting that the terminology used seems to determine the way that languages look to us. So if we take the view that 'accusative case' and 'analytic direct object markers' are really different, then one can say that Spanish has a case distinction in pronouns as well as an 'analytic direct object marker.'

But since clitics and affixes are often hard to tell apart, as are adpositions and case markers, one might just say that some varieties of Spanish have both differential indexing (la vs. nothing) and differential flagging (a vs. nothing). This would give a different grouping, since the person indexes ('pronominal clitics') wouldn't be an instance of 'case-marked pronouns,' but the accusative marker (a) would be a flag.

There are some examples already in Old Spanish of both indexing and flagging in the same clause, taken from an article by Dufter & Stark 2008*, e.g.,

a mí non me pesa (Cantar de Mio Cid, v. 1480)

to me.pron neg me.cl grieve.prs.3sg

‘It does not grieve me.’

a Él le plaziendo, muriera (Rimado de Palacio, 1378-1406)

to God him.cl like.ger die.fut.3sg

‘If He (God) likes it, he will die.’

There are also plenty of examples of this sort of thing in Semitic languages (e.g., Ge'ez, different varieties of Aramaic), where it's often called 'prolepsis.' But I'm sure that Sergey knows a lot more about this than I do.

So I think that in order to focus the question, one might ask: are there cases in which P is simultaneously marked by two distinct flags?

*Dufter, A. & Stark, E., 2008. ‘Double indirect object marking in Spanish and Italian,’ in Seoane, E. & López-Couso, María José (eds.). Theoretical and empirical issues in grammaticalization. Amsterdam/Philadelphia : John Benjamins. 111-129.