Caveat emptor

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian_nordhoff at EVA.MPG.DE
Tue Sep 17 09:59:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:59:24 +0200, Everett, Daniel <DEVERETT at bentley.edu>
wrote:

> I am posting this because linguistics is one of the disciplines I think
> needs to consider this seriously. There are too many academics in the
> liberal arts with no chance of full-time, secure employment in the area
> in which they have done their PhD.

I might note that there are job possibilities outside of "the area where
they have done their PhD". Getting a PhD in Typology does not necessarily
mean that the only career opportunities are within the, indeed restricted,
field of academic linguistics.
Best wishes
Sebastian