Caveat emptor

Mike Klein kdogg36 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 17 18:08:51 UTC 2013

I'm definitely one of those who are pursuing a linguistics Ph.D. for its
own sake. Having worked in a different field for many years, but always
taking copies of linguistics journals to the beach as summer reading, I'm
glad to have the opportunity to participate in linguistic research. If I
end up going back to something like my old job, I will have enjoyed the
years I spent getting my Ph.D. and be proud of the achievement.

I know there are folks who are counting on getting great jobs (academic or
otherwise) after graduation, but from my own experience I suspect there are
quite a few Ph.D. students like me who view the degree as a worthy goal in
itself.