Caveat emptor

Randy John LaPolla (Prof) RandyLaPolla at NTU.EDU.SG
Wed Sep 25 01:58:47 UTC 2013

Not just 20 years ago, but 30 years ago this year, when I started my PhD at UCB, we were told there were no jobs in linguistics. We got so scared a couple of us organized a symposium and invited people from outside academia to talk about jobs for linguists outside the universities.

And as Bill says, it isn't just linguists: we have a glut of engineers here in Singapore, so we have had to reduce the number of students we accept for that field, as many now end up working as bank tellers or in other non-engineering jobs.

But for me the key issue here is the relevance of linguistics. The so-called Chomskyan turn made linguistics irrelevant to almost everything, and many linguists (particularly in the US), including many typologists, are still very much in the grip of Chomskyan assumptions and ways of doing things (some of which go back to the Structuralists). If linguistics is to survive as a discipline, it has to become relevant and useful. Insights into behavior and cognition gained from working with real languages and real communication are very relevant to many aspects of life, but abstract theorizing about abstract idealized languages, or worse, idealized components of language divorced from all other aspects of communication, like "syntax", is not. So this means even moving away from many of the Structuralist assumptions about language as a fixed system to look at real language use emergent in communication.

We should also get rid of the unnecessary and harmful division between "applied" and "theoretical" linguistics. Michael Halliday's work is some of the most insightful theoretical work ever done in linguistics, as it grew out of working with actual language use and deals with the entire communicative situation, but it has been "condemned" as "Applied" because people working in language teaching and translation found it useful for improving their work. If your work has no application to anything in the world other than abstract linguistic theorizing itself, then why are you doing it?

So the solution is not to cut back on the total number of PhD's, but to push PhD students in the direction of doing work that is relevant in some way outside the academia, or at least outside the narrow confines of linguistic theorizing. This will not only make it easier for them to get jobs outside academia, but also build the view of linguistics as an important discipline, which I firmly believe it is. We also have to get out there and make the argument that linguistics is relevant. For example, many psychology graduates go into marketing and advertising, yet this is something linguists could just as easily get into, and possibly do better, if the industries involved understood the relevance of linguistics to these industries. But linguistics will only be relevant to these industries if it is the study of communication, and not the study of abstract syntax divorced from communication (for example).

Randy

-----
Prof. Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (罗�地)| Head, Division of Linguistics and Multilingual Studies | Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 | Tel: (65) 6592-1825 GMT+8h | Fax: (65) 6795-6525 | http://sino-tibetan.net/rjlapolla/