affix pleonasm crosslinguistically

Nobukatsu Minoura minoura at TUFS.AC.JP
Tue Apr 1 11:47:13 UTC 2014

Dear Francesco,

Malagasy has following examples:

(1) m-i-lomano 'swim'
     AV.PRES-VM-swim

In (1) -om- in the stem lomano is an obsolete actor voice (active voice) infix.
In the present days, the infix is no longer meaningful nor productive.
Instead you need a actor voice (active voice) and present tense prefix m-
plus a valency prefix like i- to make a verbal stem into an actor voice (active
voice) form.

(2) m-i-homehy 'laugh'
     AV.PRES-VM-laugh

(2) has the same obsolete infix -om-.

(3) m-i-hinana 'eat'
     AV.PRES-VM-eat

(3) has an obsolete patient voice (passive voice) infix -in- for some reason,
but it is an actor voice (active voice) form.  The present-day patient voice
(passive voice) form is han-ina (eat-PV).

The following idiomatic expression seems to use a seemingly actor voice
(active voice) form without the prefixes but only with the obsolete infix.

(4) m-a-zoto-a h<-om->ana 'bonne appetit, lit. be diligent to eat'
     AV.PRES-VM-be.diligent-IMPER eat<-AV->eat

But you cannot use the form homana as the main verb.
You need to use mihinana (3) instead.

Best wishes,

Nobukatsu Minoura
Assoc. Professor