Verbal agreement with NP-internal modifiers

Ruth Singer rsinger at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Mon Aug 25 03:09:19 UTC 2014

Hi Rachel,

There's an interesting construction in Mawng that Bill McGregor wanted me
to analyse as external possession but I didn't think it was exactly the
same. Either possessor or possessee can be cross-referenced as subject or
object on the verb in different constructions in Mawng. In this one its the
possessor. Whether the oblique pronoun encoding the possessor plus the
nominal encoding the possessee form an NP is an interesting question though
- they must follow the verbal complex, the oblique pronoun must be initial,
and there is some phonological interaction between the end of the verbal
word and the start of the oblique pronoun.

See section 4.3.1 'oblique wholes' on p.117 of my thesis.

 (4-45) Both possessor and possessee are cross-referenced

Ap-ujpikpi-ø nuwu yurnu.

3.ED-swell.up-I1 2sg.OBL hand(ED)

Your hand might swell up.

AD Tape 1991:1B

 (4-44)

Ak-e-ny ngartu yurnu warlk.

3GEN/3ED-pierce-PP 1sg.OBL foot(ED) stick(VE)

A stick pierced my foot.

Articles5 023

 (4-47)

"Awuni-wa-ny ngarrurru arrarrkpi kapa."

3MA/3pl-eat-PP 1pl.in.OBL person over.there

"He must have eaten some of our people over there".

AD Text 16. 032

 (4-48)

"Kunyp-aya-n kirrk nuwu jita warramumpik."

2sg/3FE.F-see-NP COMPL 2sg.OBL FE woman

"Look after your woman (i.e. wife)."

Child 040

Cheers,