Fwd: Re: Verbal agreement with NP-internal modifiers

Geoffrey Haig geoffrey.haig at UNI-BAMBERG.DE
Mon Aug 25 08:06:33 UTC 2014

Here's a couple of similar examples from Central Kurdish (North Iraq;
West Iranian, Iranian, Indo-European), with some explanations below:

bačk-ak-ān=īa-xward-im

child-def-pl=3sg:Aprog-eat.pst-1sg

'It used to eat my children'

šēt-akadas=īgazī-m

madman-defhand=3sg.Abite.pst-1sg

'the madman bit my hand'

(both originally from MacKenzie, David. 1961. Kurdish dialect studies
Vol. 1. OUP, p. 115, and discussed by me in Alignment change in Iranian
languages. A construction grammar approach (2008) Berlin: Mouton, p.
294; see also Ergin Öpengin's 2013 thesis on Mukri Kurdish for further
discussion)

The paradigm of verbal suffixes on past-tense transitive verbs (here
showing 1sg) regularly index benefactives, and other kinds of +human,
but non-agentive, and generally indirectly affected, participants. That
(rather messy) group happens to include possessors. There are also
person effects here, though not fully understood.

However, the crucial syntactic point about the Central Kurdish system is
that the participant thus cross-indexed cannot be represented
clause-internally by another element, so somewhat different to
Felicity's Gurindji exs.; if so inclined, you might want to consider
these suffixes as pronominal, rather than agreement. Nevertheless, the
similarities to the kinds of things that other people have been posting
are sufficient to merit comparison,

cheers

Geoff

-------- Original-Nachricht --------