Verbal agreement with NP-internal modifiers

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 25 10:40:28 UTC 2014

Dear Randy,

While I certainly do not mean to dispute your analysis of the Qiang data,
having a hierarchical system does not entail allowing marking of the person
of a possessor on the verb in general (and vice-versa). Qiang and Rawang
only represent a particular (or rather two particular) subtype(s) of
hierarchical agreement.
Many, if not most, languages with hierarchical person marking systems do
not allow indexation of non-arguments on the verb (be it possessor of an
argument, beneficiary etc). In the Sino-Tibetan family, in particular,
Japhug (and other Rgyalrong languages), while it presents a near-canonical
direct-inverse (and thus hierarchical) agreement system, has a very strict
syntactically-based person marking system (for instance, in the case of
indirective ditransitive verbs the recipient cannot be marked on the verb
even if it is a SAP etc).
In fact, there is probably a gradient of possibilities intermediate between
the Qiang type and the Japhug type, such as Khroskyabs (Lavrung), where we
do find limited evidence of possessor raising for some specific verbs (see
a forthcoming article by Lai Yunfan in TPhS).

In any case, Jingpo differs from Qiang in interesting ways. First, unless I
misunderstand something (and correct me if I am wrong), in Qiang non-actor
(including possessor) person marking is attested only on transitive verbs,
while possessor agreement is found on intransitive (inclduing stative)
verbs in Jingpo.
Second, in the case of Jingpo we also have special marking for *third
person* possessor, which would not be possible if person hierarchy were the
only factor at play (since both possessor and possessed are third person).
It is unclear from the data in Dai 1990 whether in Jingpo any
animacy/empathy hierarchy determines the use of 3rd person possessor
agreement (for instance, whether we would still have possessor agreement in
the case of an inanimate possessor, in a sentence like 'its owner is not
here'), but this is something that would be worth testing with native
speakers.

Guillaume