query: ludlings

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Jan 12 14:19:14 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I have a quick question about ludlings (also known as "secret
languages", "word games", etc.)

Most or all ludlings described to date are defined in terms of an
operation whose domain is, at most, that of the word (eg. "reverse the
order of segments in each word").  Occasionally, the domain is smaller,
such as the syllable (eg. "insert a [b] into each syllable").

My question: Is anybody familiar with a ludling defined in terms of an
operation whose domain is LARGER than that of the word?

I used to think such ludlings were impossible, and I suspect that many
indeed are (eg. "reverse the order of words in a sentence"). However,
today I came across what seems to be a ludling, in Papuan Malay, that
inserts a fixed element at the end of (what seems to be) each
intonational phrase.  So I'm wondering whether such ludlings have been
described before.

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550333
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/