On Edge

Mark Donohue mark at DONOHUE.CC
Fri Jun 13 01:49:42 UTC 2014

Dear Typologists, etc.,

One take on the existence of language universals that I've recently become
aware of is an incidental effect of some work reported in

Holman, Eric W., Søren Wichmann, Cecil H. Brown, and E. Anthon Eff.
2014. *Inheritance
and diffusion of language and culture: A comparative perspective.* *Social
Evolution & History* 14.2

(download from http://email.eva.mpg.de/~wichmann/wichmann_publ.html)

The essential finding (for this discussion) is that no languages are more
than about 65% different (Figure 1; I've tried to attach it here). Short of
some notion of universals, I don't see how we would account for this.

-Mark

[image: Inline images 1]