Edge and universalism vs. particularism

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Tue Mar 11 12:28:17 UTC 2014

Richard Rorty is dead. And when he was alive, he never did science.

William James and C.S. Peirce were the founders of Pragmatism and Pragmaticism, respectively. Rorty, along with his former student, Bob Brandom (my former colleague at Pittsburgh) are among a large number of neo-Pragmatists who certainly trace their roots to James and Peirce, your misgivings notwithstanding.

The entire pragmatist position, which is arguably an outgrowth of American Indian (Wampanoag and Iroquoian) philosophy via Roger Williams, is distinctive precisely because of its rejection of truth. Truth is simply a hangover from religion.

All a person can do is to tell the best justified story that they are able to tell. Truth would be a story that cannot be improved on for any future audience (to quote Rorty). Since we cannot say that any story cannot be improved on (except, if we are religious and are talking about the Koran, the Bible, etc), we cannot say that any story is true.

This is most certainly a controversial position. And many respectable philosophers, from John Searle to Bertrand Russell reject it as nonsense (which of course, in the Wittgensteinian sense, all talk of Truth is). But it is neither original with me.

However, your judgement that my statements are by and large nonsense is of course your story. If they help you navigate through the conceptual world, then they are truth to you. As Rorty said (linking his work to James’s):

" On James's view, "true" resembles "good" or "rational" in being a normative notion, a compliment paid to sentences that seem to be paying their way and that fit with other sentences which are doing so.• Introduction to Consequences of Pragmatism (1982)

Dan