Encoding of source in verbs of perception

Urmas.Sutrop at EKI.EE Urmas.Sutrop at EKI.EE
Tue Mar 18 15:59:55 UTC 2014

Dear Steffen Haurholm-Larsen,

It is quite common even in German dialects, in Saami languages and Nenets
and Selkup.

Nenets:
xalya fish,  xalya-ya(s’) fish-ODOR-INF to smell of fish

Middle High German:

fisch fish, fisch-ein-en fish-ODOR-INF to smell of fish

The so-called german Rhine dialects: fisch-ez-en

East Middle German: fisch-enz-en

Alemannic, Swabian, and Bavarian-Austrian: fish-el-en

Northern Saami:
Guolle fish, guolle-njad’dit    fish-GUSTAT.VERB to taste of fish

See my paper Odorative denominal verbs in Samoyedic, Sami, and German.
In: Congressus nonus internationalis Fenno-Ugristarum. Tartu 2000. Pars
VI, p. 271-279. Tartu, 2001.

Best wishes,
Urmas Sutrop

--
Eesti Keele Instituudi direktor ning
Tartu Ülikooli antropoloogilise ja etnolingvistika professor