Marking of possessor and A and/or S with the same set of affixes

Francoise Rose Francoise.Rose at UNIV-LYON2.FR
Wed Mar 19 17:25:08 UTC 2014

Dear Jorge,

This is in fact quite frequent, due to the similar origin of possessor indexes and argument indexes in the same set of independent pronominals.

Dixon and Aikhenvald (1999) state about Amazonian languages that "the bound pronominal forms marking a possessor within an NP are typically the same as one of the bound pronominal paradigms for marking core arguments of a clause."

Possessor may be indexed like P (Tupi-Guarani, Jê, Cf. Emerillon examples below), or like A (Arawak, cf. Mojeño examples below).

Emérillon (Tupi-Guarani, French Guyana)

(1)               a-nupã

1sg.I-hit

            'I hit him.'

(2)               zawa‰ e-su¿u

         dog        1sg.II-bite

            'A dog bit me.'

(3)               e-men

         1sg.II-husband

            'my husband'

Mojeño Trinitario (Arawak, Bolivia)

(4)               n-echjiko-'e

            1sg-talk.to-2pl

            'I am talking to you.'

(5)               a-jañok-nu-yre

2pl-watch.over-1sg-fut

'You will watch over me.'

(6)               n-ousa

  1sg-village

            'my village'

The pattern you are interested in is found throughout the Arawak family.

Best,

Françoise