Marking of possessor and A and/or S with the same set of affixes

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Wed Mar 19 20:18:23 UTC 2014

The classic reference on this is:

Siewierska, Anna. 1998. On nominal and verbal person marking.
/Linguistic Typology/ 2(1). 1–56.

She examines a world-wide sample of 157 languages and finds that 83% of
the languages with person indexes on both nouns and verbs have "some
degree of phonemic correspondence between the two sets of forms".
Similarity of possessor indexes with A indexes and with P indexes is
about equally common.

Two earlier important references are:

Allen, W. Sidney. 1963. Transitivity and possession. /Language/ 40. 337–343.
Seiler, Hansjakob. 1983. Possessivity, subject and object. /Studies in
Language/ 7. 89–117.

Greetings,
Martin