Encoding of source in verbs of perception

Eva Lindström evali at LING.SU.SE
Thu Mar 20 12:18:00 UTC 2014

Dear all,

Kuot (iso:kto), non-Austronesian, New Ireland, PNG, has 3 items for 'to
smell':

1. *ie* neutral as to quality/type of smell (verb class2, both itr
'something smells' and tr 'someone smells something')
2. *kuf* 'smell good' (verb class1, itr 'something smells good' - food,
flowers, etc)
3. *nor-* 'smell unpleasantly of fresh fish' (adj., but adjectives are
predicates in Kuot, can be used of bits of fish lying around after gutting,
or smell attaching to hands after handling; not used of rotten fish other
unpleasant smells)

No part of the stem *nor-* relates to any word for fish.

(In addition, the nominalisation of the adj. 'hot', ie 'heat' can be used
in the sense 'smell' of urine or faeces in the sun.)

Eva