Expression of syntactic arguments in embedded clauses

Paolo Ramat paoram at UNIPV.IT
Wed Oct 1 10:16:08 UTC 2014

Dear Alexander,
most pro-drop languages may omit the SUBJ in main and dependent clauses: Ital. ‘(ZERO)gli ho dato un libro perché (ZERO) voleva leggerlo’ instead of ‘IO gli ho dato un libro perché LUI voleva leggerlo’.
Best wishes.

Prof.Paolo Ramat
Università di Pavia
Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia)

From: Alexander Letuchiy
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 11:11 AM
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Expression of syntactic arguments in embedded clauses

Dear colleagues,

I would be very grateful for any references concerning expression of syntactic arguments in adjunct clauses and contrasts between structures where an argument (e.g., subject) is expressed ('I gave him a book, because HE wanted to read it') and those where an argument is omitted ('I gave him a book because (ZERO) wanted to read it').

Thanks a lot in advance,

Alexander Letuchiy, Moscow