"Morphological splits" in pronouns

ilja.serzants@uni-konstanz.de ilja.serzants at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Mon Sep 15 12:15:16 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I am interested in splits between nouns and pronouns as regards
case-marking of A, S, P (in Lazard's terms).

While various (morpho)syntactic splits between nouns and pronouns are
well-known, I am looking for discussions in the literature about why the
morphological form of the pronouns in the nominative/absolutive or
ergative case is often so different (in terms of its phonological
realization)

(1) from other cases of the pronominal paradigm, cf. Latin NOM /ego /'I'
/vs. /ACC /me, /DAT/mihi, /GEN/mei /(the oblique cases have at least the
first/m- /in common) and

(2) from the same cases in the paradigm of nouns, cf./Latin //ego
/'I.NOM'//vs. /lup-us 'wolf-/NOM.SG/' /(in Latin nouns must have a
non-zero nominative affix whereas pronouns always employ suppletion here).

It seems that Indo-European lgs. are by far not the only ones that have
this sort of "morphological splits".

I would primarily appreciate references to functional accounts (both
language-specific and cross-linguistic) but any diachronic references
(to the exclusion of Proto-Indo-European) would also be of great help.

Many thanks,
Ilja Ser ž ant

--
Ilja A. Seržant, postdoc