"Morphological splits" in pronouns

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at MAIL.HUJI.AC.IL
Mon Sep 15 15:43:28 UTC 2014

Dear Ilja,

Coptic has a case-marking split for lexical NPs and bound person markers
for the nominative: only lexical NPs (and only postverbal ones) can bear
nominative marking. Nominative marking in this language seems to be
associated with high-accessibility lexical NPs, in the sense articulated by
Mira Ariel.

Giorgio Iemmolo and I have been working on this for a while, and we think
that it has to do with a mismatch between grammatical roles (A/S) and
expected information structural properties - one would expect that A/S
would be highly accessible, and lexical NPs tend to code low accessibility
referents. Unexpected mismatches tend to be overtly coded.

The latest version of our work on this, but not the final version, can be
found here: https://www.academia.edu/6001487/Case_in_Coptic_whats_coded

Best,
Eitan

Eitan Grossman
Lecturer, Department of Linguistics/School of Language Sciences
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: +972 2 588 3809
Fax: +972 2 588 1224