[Lingtyp] Workshop on the Languages of Melanesia 2015

Workshop Language of Melanesia wlm2015anu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:04:19 UTC 2015

*Workshop on the Languages of Melanesia 2015*

*21st-23rd June 2015*

The Workshop on the Languages of Melanesia is hosted by the Australian
National University and will be held at the coastal campus at Kioloa (NSW
coast) on the 21st to 23rd of June.

The WLM is an informal workshop with a focus on Papuan languages, although
submissions on all languages from Melanesia are happily welcomed. The
workshop provides an opportunity to present on exciting and exploratory
work rather than published outcomes all within an environment of lively
discussion and a stunning natural setting.

The workshop also involves many opportunities for social interaction with
fellow scholars of all levels, including a group bushwalk at some point
during the workshop.

*Call for Papers:*

The Workshop on the Languages of Melanesia welcomes abstract submissions on
the topic of, but not restricted to:

Considering variation in linguistic description of Melanesian Languages.

Languages do not exist in isolation and neither should grammatical
description. We therefore request talks and posters which recognises the
role variation plays in the description, modelling and understanding of
languages of the region. We conceive of variation in this sense to be both
*macrovariation*, i.e. inter-language, and *microvariation*, i.e.
intra-language variation.

We invite abstracts of a maximum of a single page in length (including any
examples and references). Talks may be for 20 or 30 minutes, with 10
minutes discussion. We also invite abstracts for posters. Please indicate
preference when submitting abstract.

The deadline for submission of abstracts is the 28th of April, please email
abstracts to: wlm2015anu at gmail.com.

The workshop will be located at the Kioloa Coastal Campus, for more
information see: http://kioloa.anu.edu.au/. Transport from Canberra to the
workshop venue will be provided. Food and accommodation costs will be
supplemented to keep costs to a minimum.  Further details will be updated
when available, at http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/whats-on/events/.

Invited speaker will be announced shortly.

*Organisers:*

Prof. Nicholas Evans

Charlotte van Tongeren

Matthew J Carroll