[Lingtyp] query: 'give' and 'do'/'make'

Randy John LaPolla (Prof) RandyLaPolla at ntu.edu.sg
Tue Feb 17 03:07:24 UTC 2015

In the New York case I think the development of a sense like 'give' (Do me a haircut = Give me a haircut) is simply an analogical extension of the use of the construction from benefactive cases involving real doing, e.g. Do me a solid, which can't be said as Give me a solid, to cases where we can otherwise use give.

Also, in some varieties of Southwest Mandarin there is a use of the word ba 'hold with hands' for 'give', which I think is also an analogical extension of the "disposal" construction (the famous BA construction) to uses involving giving.

Randy

Randy

Sent from my iPhone