[Lingtyp] book announcement

Alvanoudi, Angeliki angeliki.alvanoudi at jcu.edu.au
Sat Jan 10 04:57:48 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

I would like to announce the publication of my book Grammatical Gender in Interaction: Cultural and Cognitive Aspects (Brill).

Title: Grammatical Gender in Interaction: Cultural and Cognitive Aspects
Written by: Angeliki Alvanoudi, Language and Culture Research Centre, James Cook University

Series Title: Brill's Studies in Language, Cognition and Culture, 9
Description: In Grammatical Gender in Interaction: Cultural and Cognitive Aspects Angeliki Alvanoudi explores the relation between grammatical gender in person reference, culture and cognition in Modern Greek conversation. The author investigates the cultural and cognitive aspects of grammatical gender, by drawing on feminist sociolinguistic and non-linguistic approaches, cognitive linguistics, research on linguistic relativity, studies on person reference in interaction and conversation analysis. The study presented in this book shows that the use of grammatical gender contributes to the routine achievement of sociocultural gender in interaction and that grammatical gender guides speakers' thinking of referents as female or male at the time of speaking.
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: BRILL

Best regards,

Angeliki Alvanoudi

Angeliki Alvanoudi, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Language and Culture Research Centre
The Cairns Institute
Building D3 Room 034 James Cook University
PO BOX 6811 CAIRNS QLD 4870, Australia
http://research.jcu.edu.au/research/lcrc/people/angeliki-alvanoudi
Phone: 61-7-42321549