[Lingtyp] Technology standards in conflict with linguistic standards

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Sat Jul 4 20:25:44 UTC 2015

> Is there any way to change this? LaTeX does support almost everything I
> have ever needed, but I admit it is not always very easy to learn or
> use. I would be happy to hear alternative views or suggestions.

Dear all,
I do believe that the installation of LaTeX is the most difficult thing.
Fortunately, there is now a web service, overleaf.com, for writing
LaTeX. It even has a rich text editor, which should smooth the learning
curve.

I have used this for proofs of Language Science Press books, and most
authors found it reasonably easy to make changes to the content
(spelling, grammar, style and the like)

This is obviously different from conceiving a whole LaTeX document from
scratch, but for this, one uses templates anyway.

In order to give it a try, visit
https://www.overleaf.com
and click on [Create new paper]

The Language Science Press template can be found on
https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/language-science-press-template-2-dot-0/qyddrkmgfvnc#.VZg9_237nRY

The relevant files to edit for this template are found in the folder
/chapters. We are preparing a screencast to explain the use of this
template, which should be available in the next months. If you want to
try it already now, you have to open the template, click on [Project]
towards the top and navigate to the folder /chapters, where you can
select a file start writing right away.
Best
Sebastian