[Lingtyp] Studies of discourse in ergative languages

Tasaku Tsunoda tsunoda at ninjal.ac.jp
Mon Oct 12 02:07:41 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues,

    People on this mailing list are very kind and generous. I have received
very positive responses, and invaluable information has been flowing in. I
have started compiling a bibliography on “Ergativity in Discourse”. I will
post it in due course -- when (I think) the flow has stopped.

    I did not mention this in my initial posting, but the reason why I am
seeking this information is as follows.
    From 1971 to 1974, I recorded the Warrongo language of northeast
Australia, mainly from the last fluent speaker. In Tsunoda (2011), I
described the phonology, morphology and syntax of Warrongo as in detail as
possible.

Tsunoda, Tasaku. 2011. A grammar of Warrongo. Berlin & New York: De Gruyter
Mouton.

Now, I am planning to work on the discourse of Warrongo.
    From 1971 to 1972, I recorded running texts in Warrongo of 6 hours 40
minutes. At long last, in May this year (43 years since then), I finished
writing glosses, translations and notes on the texts. The total number of
the pages of the texts is about 1200.
    I think that study of Warrongo discourse will be interesting, for this
language has the ergative-absolutive case-marking at the simple-sentence
level and furthermore it has syntactic ergativity at the complex-sentence
level.

    Again, many thanks.

Tasaku Tsunoda