[Lingtyp] lifespan of Perfect

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Thu Apr 14 09:41:21 UTC 2016

On 13 April 2016 at 13:21, Östen Dahl <oesten at ling.su.se> wrote:

  I think the question will be quite difficult to answer, for several reasons. One is that it will be hard to find a sufficient number of reasonably independent cases. The developments in European languages that you are referring to are too close to each other in time and space to be treated as separate from each other. You also need to have consistent criteria for the determining when a category comes into being and when it disappears, and also for choosing the set of categories you are generalizing over.

  I think Östen is quite right. Don’t forget that (almost) all the European languages  developed their literary traditions on the basis of translations of the Bible and the Evangiles, either from Greek or Latin (that, on its turn,  had borrowed the periphrastic construct  habeo dictum from the ècho legòmenon of the Greek original texts).[*].

Best,
P. Rt.

[*] It is even possible that the Greek periphrastic construct followed an Anc. Hebrew model.

Prof.Paolo Ramat
Academia Europaea
Università di Pavia
Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori (IUSS Pavia)