[Lingtyp] lifespan of Perfect

Nigel Vincent nigel.vincent at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 14 12:06:22 UTC 2016

Dear Östen,
Two thoughts in that connection:

1. I think the precise origin does matter since how else are we to calculate the timespan? And in the specific case of the Romance periphrastic perfects there are big differences. On the old so-called 'karstic' view there are examples of 'habeo' + Past Part in Plautus that already display a perfect meaning which then so to speak goes underground and resurfaces in late Latin. However, on the view that emerges from the work of Adams and Haverling there aren't any convincing examples until the 6th or even 7th century, i.e. almost a millennium later. That gives a very different lifespan for the construction.

2. I'm not sure why we can't take the different European languages as independent cases even if they have a shared origin. The historical profile is very different between English, Swedish and German and arguably after a certain point these are independent historical sequences. The same goes for the differences between sub-families of Romance. And Greek, on the assumption that the origin there is post-Byzantine which is what I have seen argued by people like Amalia Moser, is yet a different profile.

Best
Nigel

Professor Nigel Vincent, FBA MAE
Professor Emeritus of General & Romance Linguistics
The University of Manchester

Linguistics & English Language
School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
The University of Manchester